Tuesday 29 January 2013

Pixel Art Robots

For this task we used pixel art to create a robot, one roughly the size of Einstien and one rough 1/3 of his height.

The robots were created pixel by pixel in photoshop. Many layers were used to copy and paste patterns of pixels, and to work out what size different parts of the robot would be and how many pixels were needed. It was surprising how many limitations there were when I started working on the smaller robot.

After I had created the line art for the robots, colouring them was a lot easier, I created a layer underneath and added bright colours to each to fit the retro robot look. After that I used an overlay to add simple cell shading, signifying light coming from the top-right of the scene.


They fitted well into the scene with Einstein, however they were both a bit small, as they were meant to be the same height or 1/3 of the height of Einstein. The lighting I gave them follows the lighting on Einstein himself so they do not look out of place.

In this task I think I could have done some things more imaginative or ambitious,  such as given the robots more odd or curved shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment